Symposium and Brian Doerksen Concert
How have and how do God’s people struggle for shalom and justice in the midst of a violent world?
Confirmed speakers include:
- J Janzen (Highland Community Church): “Making Peace with Force: Rethinking Anabaptist-Mennonite Nonresistance”
- Derek Suderman (Conrad Grebel University College): “Hearing Voices of Lament as Cries for Shalom.”
- Dorothy M. Peters (TWU/ACTS): “The Sword – Sheathed and Unsheathed – in the Dead Sea Scrolls”
- Kyung Baek (TWU), “The Sword-in-the-Mouth of Jesus the King: Declarations of War and Peace in the Gospel of Matthew”
- Gareth Brandt (Columbia Bible College), “Münster and Menno: A Case Study from 16th Century Anabaptism”
- Bruce Guenther (President, MB Biblical Seminary Canada) “Mennonites and Peacemaking: Tensions in Theology and Practice”
Brian Doerksen and the SHIYR Poets present “A Musical and Theological Conversation about War and Peace and the Struggle for Shalom.” There will be cameo appearances by Dr. Craig Broyles (TWU): “The Pursuit of Peace in the Psalms: On Violence and the Function of Lament” and Martin G. Abegg (TWU): “The War Scroll: So What . . . Is Shalom?” and the inaugural performance of a new Dead Sea Scrolls song, “When Justice Sings.